Cardiac Surgery ICU
Introduction to Open Heart Surgery ICU
- Name of the Unit: Open Heart Surgery ICU
- Specialty: cardiovascular surgery
- Number of beds: Six beds (one isolation bed)
- Number of rooms for patients: All patients are admitted to the main hall of the unit and under the direct supervision of the nursing station.
- Other important rooms and suites: Patient bathroom, physician's room, nursing room
- Common diseases in the unit during last year: Bypass (surgery and transplantation) of coronary arteries, replacement and repair of the heart valve, pericardial window (discharge of the cardiac fluid), A Aortic Dissection treatment
- Name and technical expertise of the unit: Dr. Mohammad Forouzesh Fard (Heart Surgery Anesthesiologist)
- Name and specialty of head nurse: Zahra Doost Mohammadi (Nursing expert)
- Name and specialty of other doctors in the unit: Dr. Kamran Ghods (cardiologist/cardiac surgeon)
- The percentage of bed occupancy in the last year: 43.3%
- Unit location in the hospital: Second floor (next to the heart surgery room)
Oxygen and central suction - electroshock therapy machine- Electrocardiograms - Refrigerators and TVs - Ventilators- ECG machines, Echo, Emergency trolley, Pacemakers, Portable radiography, Wavy mattresses, Monitoring, Gomco® Suction Equipment, Portable suction, Glucometers, Oxygen Capsules , Blood Warmer Machine, humidifier, perfusion device
The typical process of admission and treatment of patients in open heart ICU:
- The referral of the patient or his or her accompaniment to the hospital admission unit to establish a hospital admission by holding a hospital admission order from a medical practitioner or admission of patients from the operating room after operations
- Before patients enter the unit by the emergency or operation rooms personnel, they are informed and the patients' names is registered in the HIS system.
- Obtaining consent from patients or their accompaniment prior to surgery is done by the relevant physician.
- Patients admitted to the ICUOH unit cannot have accompaniment and usually stay in the same unit until the day of discharge. However, in case of transfer to the ward, the attendance of patients' accompaniment will be treated in accordance with the hospital regulations.
- After patients are discharged from the hospital, patients' accompaniment will refer to the discharge unit while keeping a copy of insurance documents or a letter of introduction from the complementary insurance company to complete the process of patients' discharge.
- All personal belongings of the patient will be given to patients; accompaniment before entering the unit.
- Completion of biographies is done by interns and the medical assistant in the unit or by the medical practitioner.
- The written and oral instructions of the practitioner are immediately executed.
- After the patient is admitted, a doctor attends the patient's bedside and visits the patient as soon as possible.
- Clinical nursing care is available all day round.
Guide for patients admitted to the unit and their accompaniment:
- The doctor's visit is usually in the morning shift. Patients will also be visited at night or evening shift if needed.
- The visiting hour is from 03:30 pm to 04:00 pm from the viewing corridor every day. It is strictly forbidden to enter the department because of the isolation of patients.
- The internal ward contact number is 2389, which is communicated via the hospital's answering machine.
- The hospital prayers hall is located in the hospital's yard, in addition to the section across the inactive section where there is also a decent space for this purpose.
- Distribution of food is done at three servings of morning, noon and night by self service personnel.
- Insurance and social assistance are performed for patients according to hospital rules and regulations.
- Before the discharge of patients, all the necessary training on how to take medications, the time of referral to a doctor, how to bathe, eat food, etc. are given to them (Instructions are given verbally to the patients and their accompaniment.)
- In case of post-discharge follow-up, medical counseling is provided as soon as possible through the secretary or nurse responsible for the shift.
- Also educational pamphlets are prepared for patient's current illness.